On this blog, you will find commentary on a wide variety of sports subjects, ranging from fantasy football to the Yankees' payroll. I hope you enjoy it, and please bookmark this page!

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Well, that's it

131-92

Talk about anticlimactic.

After such an exciting regular season in the Western Conference, the playoffs left me wanting more. It kind of says something when the best playoff game was the first Suns-Spurs game in the opening round. Although there were a couple of close Finals games, none of them seemed to really come down to the wire. If my memory is correct, you could tell with about 95% certainty who was going to win each game with 20 seconds to go. In the Finals, I don't like that. I want at least 1 or 2 games to be decided on last second shots (make or miss).

Oh well. At least the Heat have the number 2 pick in the draft. There is no reason this team shouldn't be a contender next season. I see a lot of people on Miami Heat message boards saying things like, "With Beasley, we should be able to get the 7 or 8 seed next year."

What???!!! First of all, we don't know for sure that the Heat will get Beasley, although it looks pretty likely. And second of all, the 7 or 8 seed? Seriously? I think Miami will be legitimate championship contenders. Yes, I know Miami only won 15 games this year. But look at the 2005-06 roster, when we won it all. Can you honestly tell me that team was MUCH better than the Heat should be this year? Look at it this way, the Heat are probably going to have either a potentially (depending on how Beasley turns out) incredible trio (something like Wade-Marion-Beasley or Wade-Marion-Brand) or a ridiculous duo, which would mean Marion AND Beasley were traded for someone. Based on star power alone, this Heat squad should be superior to the won that won it all. Now, I do think it's unlikely that we'll have as good role players as we had then, but, in the NBA, it all starts with superstars. As long as the Heat stay healthy, I'd be very disappointed with anything but another championship.

No comments: