On this blog, you will find commentary on a wide variety of sports subjects, ranging from fantasy football to the Yankees' payroll. I hope you enjoy it, and please bookmark this page!

Thursday, June 5, 2008

I'm Back

Let me first say that I'm sorry that I haven't posted in awhile. It's certainly been a long time.

Anyways, let's get back to business.

It's a pretty interesting time in sports right now. We've got the NBA Finals, the baseball season is well under way, football isn't too far off -- cue the cheers of those who have just realized this -- , and horse racing is actually relevant to your average sports fan.

As for the main current sports event, the NBA Finals, let me start out by saying there couldn't be two teams in it I despise more (well, I guess Detroit is one notch above Boston on my hated NBA teams' list, but you get the point). Having said that, it'll certainly be interesting, and I'm sure I'll be watching all 4-7 games (for the league's sake and the viewers' sake, hopefully 7).

I have long criticized Kobe as a player (although I don't think there's any evidence of this on my blog), but, I have to admit, his play has been pretty damn impressive throughout these playoffs. I've always thought he takes far too many shots considering his relatively mediocre shooting percentage (and I still do), but he has shot slightly over 50% in this year's playoffs, so far:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kobe_bryant/index.html

I've got to eat some crow for that.

I have no idea why he's shooting so much better. You could say that the acquisition of Gasol helps his percentage, and it certainly does, but, remember, Kobe played with a prime Shaq, and he has never shot over 47% for a season, and only did it once throughout an entire playoff run, not counting this season. See the aforementioned link if you doubt me.

Maybe Kobe has suddenly become much better. Doubtful. Or maybe, he's actually playing smarter. I think this is much more likely. Because I'm not a Lakers fan, I hope Kobe starts playing like the old Kobe (you know, the one from about a year ago) rather than this new and improved one.

As for predictions, I think Boston will take it in 7. These teams are clearly the top 2 teams in the NBA this season, and it's only fitting that they would meet with everything on the line. Hopefully I'll be able to post more later backing up this prediction, but, for now, I'll just say that I think homecourt will prove to decide the series. I'm not talking about biased refs (I don't believe in those sort of conspiracies); I'm talking about the home team playing better.

In baseball, as I've said, I'm a Yankees fan, and it looks like they're finally starting to turn it around (thank goodness). Today was probably the most exciting Yankees game of the season to this point, and it makes me very optimistic about the upcoming games. If you are unaware what happened, the Yankees fell behind by 5 runs, only to win the game 9-8 on a 2 run walkoff HR by Jason Giambi (who was pinch-hitting). It was great! Go Yankees!

Finally, I'd like to add that I'm thrilled the Heat got a top-2 pick, and I see no wrong ways of using this pick. Whether the Heat pick Rose, Beasley, or Mayo, or trade the pick for a proven All-Star, I'm very excited about next season.

Well, that's it for now.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, and please check back on the blog!

P.S. Please comment!

No comments: